Monday, December 18, 2006

Researching Red's teammate and friend

A few weeks and a few hundred newspaper articles later, I am confident that Ray Schalk will be a viable subject for a full biography. Schalk and Red Faber were long-time teammates and, subsequently, lifelong friends.

Though much of my free time the past four years has involved Faber, I can say with some confidence that Schalk was a better catcher than Faber was a pitcher. Both outstanding. Both Hall of Famers. But I found no newspaper articles from the first quarter of the 20th century, quoting baseball experts, that described Faber as the best player anywhere in his position. Many did say just that about Schalk.

My opinion about Schalk was reinforced by the acquisitions editor at McFarland & Co., which published my Faber biography. He thinks Schalk would be a "terrific" subject for a biography.

I hope that we're both right.

No comments: