Thursday, March 06, 2008

Faber biography receives surprise nomination

I received a surprise in my e-mail this morning, when I learned that my Red Faber biography is among 10 finalists for the prestigious Larry Ritter Award of the Society for American Baseball Research.

The award honors "the best book published each year, primarily set in or primarily about the deadball era."

The award subcommittee announced the books under consideration. The other nine finalists:

Balloting begins this month, and award is presented at the SABR convention this summer.

You've heard it said, "It was an honor just to be nominated"? Well, that's my feeling here. And it's a surprise to be nominated, because I had no hand in it.

I haven't read the other eight books, but I'm just finishing Macht's biography of Connie Mack, and it's tremendous. (More on that soon.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian:
I stumbled across your blog just a few days ago, and have enjoyed reading it.

If you have the opportunity, please go to www.shorpy.com, a site for historical photographs. You'll see a few captures of the 1920 White Sox that might be of interest to you.

Best wishes.

Denny Gill,
Chugiak, Alaska

Brian Cooper said...

Denny:
Thanks so much for your kind words and for telling me about your site. What a surprise when I saw Ray Schalk's image on the lead page! Indeed, that image would be a fine candidate for a book cover.